Month: December 2021

Start Date for Winter 2022 Delayed

Out of an abundance of caution in regards to the current uptick in Covid cases in the province, Dodgeball Winnipeg has made the difficult decision to delay the start of the winter 2022 season by 2 weeks. What this means is that the first games of the season that were scheduled to start Tuesday, January 4th, will now start Tuesday, January 18th. The number of games will not be affected as we will now conclude the season 2 weeks later than we originally planned to. This applies to all divisions and all of the new dates can be viewed on the Important Dates page.

We hope that by delaying the start of the season we will be able to better assess the effects of the spread of the new variant and its impact on the healthcare system. As much as we all want to play dodgeball, the health and safety of our players and community is a priority and we don’t feel as though we have enough information to start the season at this point in time.

Thank you for your understanding and we hope to see everyone back on the court in mid January.

Winter 2022 Draft League Player Draft

The winter 2022 draft league player draft will take place tomorrow on Monday, December 27th at 6pm. For the first time in a number of years, we will have a livestream to accompany the draft that will be streamed on Dodgeball on Twitch ( Join Stacy Huen and a guest as they provide insight and analysis while breaking down each pick live as they happen.Β 

You can set a reminder to be notified when the stream goes live here.

The draft board can be found here.

Update on the Winter 2022 Season

With the current situation regarding the increase in COVID-19 cases in the province, we wanted to update the community on how this may impact the winter 2022 season set to start the first week of January. As of right now, provincial public health restrictions do not prevent us from operating as there are no restrictions for indoor sports beyond a reduction in spectator capacity from 100% to 50%.

With that being said, this is a rapidly evolving situation and we are making contingency plans in the event that we are not able to start as planned in early January. Here are some of the potential scenarios if we cannot proceed as scheduled:

  • Delay our start in January and run later into March than anticipated;
  • Run a shortened season (ex. 6, 7 or 8 weeks) with teams/players being credited/refunded for any games subtracted from the normal 9 game season;
  • Cancel the season entirely with teams/players being credited/refunded for the season (only considered as a last resort).

As the situation changes, we will have more information available and will have a better idea of how we will proceed. We will continue to keep you posted in the meantime.Β 

As always, thank you for your patience and understanding.